Duncan Crowley is an Irish researcher working with the UrbanA (Urban Arenas for sustainable and just cities) project in Lisbon, with the Centre for Ecology, Evolution and Environmental Changes (CE3C) at FCiências.ID. He is currently doing a PhD in “Architecture of Contemporary Metropolitan Territories” in ISCTE, Lisbon on "Scaling up Citizen-led initiatives for Ecocity transformation", with the "Cities and Territories" research group at DINÂMIA'CET-IUL, Centre for Socioeconomic and Territorial Studies. He is also part of the ECOLISE research team supporting the Ecovillage Transition in Action Erasmus+ project.
He lived in Brazil for 4 years and completed an action research based Masters in Environment and Development in UFPR’s multidisciplinary course PPGMADE in Curitiba, focusing on Urban Sustainability & Citizen Participation.
He lived in Barcelona for 7 years (2006-13) before that and co-founded the city transition initiative in 2008 and did a permaculture course at Mas Franch in 2010. He has participated in various ecological movements in different countries including Ecocity Banja Luka (Bosnia, 2003), Dolphins Barn Community garden in Dublin (Ireland, 2005), Transition Towns, Ecocity Group Curitiba, and joining activists at UK & Irish Climate Camps. He was part of the "Climate Caravan" outside COP15 in Copenhagen (2009) and the ECOLISE delegation at COP25 in Madrid (2019).
- Duncan Crowley on Research Gate https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Duncan_Crowley
- UrbanA: Urban Arenas for sustainable and just cities https://urban-arena.eu
- Duncan Crowley on CE3C https://ce3c.ciencias.ulisboa.pt/member/duncancrowley
- Duncan Crowley PhD thesis: Scaling up Community-Led Initiatives for Ecocity transformation. Exploring opportunities and barriers in Lisbon https://www.researchgate.net/project/PhD-in-Architecture-of-Contemporary-Metropolitan-Territories-ISCTE-Lisbon-Portugal-2018-2021
- Duncan Crowley on DINÂMIA'CET-IUL: Centre for Socioeconomic and Territorial Studies, Cities and Territories Research Group https://www.dinamiacet.iscte-iul.pt/research-team/Duncan-Crowley
- Duncan Crowley Masters Thesis: Constructing a Sustainable City through Citizen Participation: Local Responses from Civil Society groups in Curitiba, Brazil https://www.researchgate.net/publication/327060391_Constructing_a_Sustainable_City_through_Citizen_Participation_Local_Responses_from_Civil_Society_groups_in_Curitiba_Brazil
- Programa de Pós-Graduação em Meio Ambiente e Desenvolvimento da Universidade Federal do Paraná (PPGMADE/UFPR) http://www.ppgmade.ufpr.br/
- Permaculture design course, Mas Franch, La Garrotxa, Catalonia, Spain https://www.permaculture.org.uk/education/venue/mas-franch
- Social & Climate Justice Caravan (2009) https://climatecaravan.wordpress.com/
- ECOLISE brings voice of community-led climate action to COP25 https://www.ecolise.eu/ecolise-brings-voice-of-community-led-climate-action-to-cop25/
- Duncan Crowley https://twitter.com/fuspey
- Ecocity Lisboa https://twitter.com/EcocityLisboa
- UrbanA Portugal https://twitter.com/pt_urbana