She is a peace worker from Ankara, Turkey. She began her career in journalism and in 2013 she covered the Gezi Park Movement as a freelance journalist in alternative media and international press. She was a graduate degree student in Peace and Conflict Studies Hacettepe University’s Istanbul branch from 2014 to 2017, where she was taught, among others, by Johan Galtung, Jorgen Johansen, Stellan Vinthagen, Oliver Richmond, Norman Finkelstein, Joshua Weiss, Wolfgang Dietrich, Gal Harmat, Kai Frithjof Brand-Jacobsen, Zeki Ergaş, Tatsushi Arai and Amr Khairy Abdalla. Hacettepe University shut down the department in 2015 but she obtained a graduate degree with the thesis subject being ‘Identity-based Conflicts in between Resistance Groups during the Gezi Movement’. Since graduating from Hacettepe University in 2017, she was able to gain experience, inspire transformers and realise projects. As a trained peace-worker, she has been invited to present new ideas at international conferences and did interventions on the level of established organizations as well as in inter-personal or inter-group conflicts. In her academic and practical approaches, she works for the creation of new social structures and implementation of state-of-the-art scientific solutions. In Wuppertal she founded the concept of nature-based micro-level peacebuilding methods that can be integrated into the real world. She cares deeply about a shared understanding of mutual respect. Above all, it is also important to her to take responsibility for future generations.
Speaker: UNRISD Co-building a New Eco-Social World: Leaving No one Behind, 29 June- 02 July 2022. https://newecosocialworld.com/
T7 Task Force Member:https://www.think7.org/expert/burcu-eke-schneider/
University of Bergen 2022 Summer Research School Participant https://www.uib.no/en/rs/bsrs
Burcu’s “Urban Gardening Peace Project” won second place in the Audience Award at Go Volunteer Awards 2021, and third place at “Social Innovation” category. She was selected as a young scientist of the Right Livelihood Campus Bonn in 2021. She is an urbanA Fellow https://urban-arena.eu/ and Istanbul Development Agency Climate Adaptation and Climate Justice Working Group Member.
- 2018 - AFK “"Welches Wissen(-)schafft Praxis?",presented “Identity-based Conflicts in between Newly-formed Resistance Groups during the Gezi Movement”Berlin. https://bundesstiftung-friedensforschung.de/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/180411_Bericht_mit_Cover_AFkNachwuchs.pdf
- 2018 - British Library “Non-violent Scholar Activism in the 21st Century” Conference, presented “Scholar-Activism within the Gezi Movement” London.https://www.scholaractivism.com/
- 2018 - London School of Economics “Revolution and Resistance “Conference, London.
- 2019 - CSCP “The Avantgardenist Social Transformation Project” Presentation, Wuppertal.
- 2019 - CSCP (Collaborating Centre on Sustainable Consumption and Production)Co-working.
- 2019 - Kassel University “Decolonial Alternatives to Development” Conference, Kassel.
- 2019 - 19th Global Development Conference 'Knowledge for Sustainable Development: The Research–Policy Nexus.' Bonn.
- 2019 - Urban Arenas for Sustainable and Just Cities Meeting Rotterdam.
- 2020 - Tag des Guten Lebens Wuppertal Member of Advisory Council.https://www.guteslebenwuppertal.de/beirat-2/
- 2020 - Urban gardening Peace Project founder in Wuppertal. www.urban-peace.org
- 2020 - Deutsche Welle Article https://www.dw.com/de/gem%C3%BCseanbau-migration-wuppertal-permakultur-perspektive-gesellschaft-schrebergarten-klimawandel/a-53898345
- 2020 - Friedrich Engels: Die Aktualität eines Klassikers - The Timelines of a Historic Figure Wuppertal.
- 2020 - Member of Wuppertal Institute Solidarity Platform.
- 2020 - UrbanA Community Conversations “An Avantgardenist Approach: Creating Peace Gardens in the Urban Realm” https://medium.com/urban-arenas-for-sustainable-and-just-cities/an-avantgardenist-approach-creating-peace-gardens-in-the-urban-realm-17f8aaddaa9f Presentation.
- 2020 - Wuppertal Institute “Post Corona: Wege in die neue Normalität„ https://www.academia.edu/44131818/Burcu_Talk_DE_ Presentation.
- 2020 - UN SDG Action Zone.
- 2020 - 9th European Conference on Sustainable Cities and Towns, Mannheim.
- 2020 - "Diversitätssensibilität in der Kulturpolitik" and "Eine Nachhaltige Kulturpraxis" Web-Talks.
- 2020 - Peace and Climate Change UN Workshop.
- 2020 - WZ Article https://www.wz.de/nrw/wuppertal/wie-eine-wuppertalerin-von-der-journalistin-zur-friedensgaertnerin-wurde_aid-54395147
- 2020 - Daring Cities : Driving the Green Recovery and Redesign.
- 2020 - Urban Arenas for Sustainable and Just Cities Meeting Barcelona.
- 2020 - Minority Protection and Ethnic Group Rights in Central and Central Eastern Europe.
- 2020 - GLF Biodiversity Digital Conference: One World - One Health.
- 2020 - "Critical Gender and Diversity Knowledge.Challenges and Prospects" Conference.
- 2020 - Pina Bausch Theatre Under Construction Project Participant "Art and Peace-building" https://under-construction-wuppertal.de/media?fbclid=IwAR197w6jjjPeCitiT_2td79c422GTEFKwibUCEfccaBfopCF1uagq0dAdH4#type,archiv-der-traeume,1
- 2020 - Malmö University, presented “Art and Peacebuilding Methods”.
- 2021 - Digitainable forum: Mindful use of Digitalization and Artificial Intelligence (D&AI) for the SDGs.
- 2021 - Co-designing Our Cities Conference.
- 2021 - Digital education & Training,Mannheim.
- 2021 - The German Symposium 2021.
- 2021 - Essay by Burcu Eke-Schneider 'Der Sand' Vielleicht - page 11 https://die-wueste-lebt.org/der-sand/
Neue Formen des Dialogs –für einen friedlichen, gerechten und nachhaltigen Wandel!
- 2021 - From Science to Practice: The Role of Research in Tackling COVID-19 and Achieving the SDGs.
- 2021 - Urban Arenas for Sustainable and Just Cities Meeting Berlin.
- 2021 - What does a just transition to solve climate change by 2030 look like? Drift Webinar.
- 2021 - Wuppertal Institute: Platform for Neighbourhood Solidarity: Using Community-based Approaches to Build Pandemie-resilient Neighbourhoods, International Peace Worker and Researcher,https://www.schader-stiftung.de/fileadmin/content/Plattform_fuer_Quartierssolidaritaet_-_Folien_zum_Vortrag_von_Stelzer.pdf
- 2021 - New York Institute of Technology: "School of Architecture and Design" -R-cubed Symposium and Workshop.
- 2021 - 'European Social Economy Summit' 2021
- 2021 - RLC/ZEF Bonn Workshop, Mobilization for Change:Ensuring Rights and Promoting Justice for Marginalized People:"Micro-level Peace-building Methods for Sustainable and Just Cities" Scientific Research Presentation.
- 2021 - Kulturell sensibler und inklusiver Journalismus bei Can TV. Ich habe einen Vortrag darüber gehalten, wie wir mit unserem kulturellen Wissen am Transformationsprozess nachhaltiger und gerechter Städte teilnehmen können. https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=211058807350889&ref=watch_permalink
- 2021 - "What's going on in Citizenship Education in Europe?" NECE Campus
- 2021 - NECE CAMPUS ttps://www.facebook.com/NECE.network/posts/join-the-nececampus-thursday-1st-july-0300-0335-pm-cet-presentation-a-micro-leve/986661605426529/
- 2021 - Yol TV Interview, Transformation and Cultural Participation for a Common Future https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjd50lv6RGs
- 2021 - Federal Conference of Municipal Development Policy Together. Fair. Global. Sustainable.Agenda 2030 - Communities Shape the Future Online event from June 14 to 16, 2021
- 2021 - Swiss Sociological Association Congress Social Justice in Times of Uncertainty: "A Micro-level Peacebuilding Method for Sustainable and Just Cities" Presentation.https://sociocongress2021.ch/
- 2021 - 17th Development Dialogue Conference -The International Institute of Social Studies (ISS), The Hague, Erasmus University Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
- 2021 - International Degrowth Conference 'Caring Communities for Radical Change "Micro-level Peacebuilding Method for Sustainable and Just Cities:Peace Garden for Alternative Food Practice" Presentation,Hague.https://www.degrowth.info/en/the-hague-2021/
- 2021 - Georg Arnhold Summer Conference on “The Environmental Crisis and Education” "Micro-level Peacebuilding Methods"http://www.gei.de/stipendien/georg-arnhold-programm/summer-conference.html
- 2021 - Peace Garden nominated and selected as a new eco-education model at NECE Campus "Networking European Citizenship Education" Platform which will be transferred to the NECE Conference 2021 in Brussels.https://www.nece.eu/campus/
- 2021 - Nominated as one of 3 finalist the category Social Innovation at the German Volunteer Awards 2021 https://volunteerawards.de/
- 2022 - Ecocity World Summit 2021 "Science to Practice : Micro-level Peacebuilding Methods for Sustainable and Just Cities" Presentation, Rotterdam.https://ecocity-summit.com/
- 2022 - Istanbul Development Agency Working Group Member - Climate Adaptation and Climate Justice https://ipa.istanbul/iklim-platformu-ilk-toplantisini-gerceklestirdi/
- 2022 - T7 Social Cohesion Task Force Member https://www.think7.org/expert/burcu-eke-schneider/
- 2022 - Interreligious Dialogue for a Sustainable Future Workshop - https://diasporanrw.net/termin/online-workshop-nachhaltigkeit-und-interreligioeser-dialog/
- 2022 - WZ Article about Intercultural Living and Sustainability https://www.wz.de/nrw/wuppertal/online-workshop-in-wuppertal-interkulturelles-leben-und-nachhaltigkeit_aid-66363097#
- 2022 - Member of Global research and action network for an eco-social contract https://www.unrisd.org/80256B3C005BE6B5/(httpNews)/86445ADED10EBD0B8025877B00371493?OpenDocument
- 2023 - Basel Peace Forum Participant.
- 2023 - UNRISD Flagship Report's Meeting—Crises of Inequality: Shifting Power for a New Eco-Social Contract in Berlin, Germany.
- 2023 - New Peace Architecture Article, International Journal of Peace, Education and Development.
- 2023 - Creating Peace Gardens will soon be published by the Georg Eckert Institute, both as an online book and some print exemplares. The book is entitled Creative Approaches to Climate and Peace Education: An Educator’s Guide to Using Storytelling and the Arts.