P2P energy exchanges with Jouliette - Amsterdam
Jouliette is a platform that aims to foster bottom-up transitions towards a fair and 100% renewable energy system. It is a peer-to-peer blockchain trading system, in which a token is created to exchange renewable energy within the living lab ‘De Ceuvel’. De Ceuvel is a sustainable workplace for creative and social enterprises located in Amsterdam North. At De Ceuvel, energy is produced through solar panels. Thanks to Jouliette’s smart-grid technology, community members can make transactions with a digital currency to buy energy, using blockchain technology. Through this system, both energy production and consumption are performed outside of the market limitations, allowing the Ceuvel community to manage their own micro-economy. Jouliette has been developed by Spectral, a smart energy services company, and in collaboration with Alliander, the network company responsible for the energy distribution in Amsterdam.
- Foster community empowerment and peer-to-peer exchange of renewable energy.
- Become a landmark example of the energy transition and to be applied to other parts of Amsterdam.
- Foster circular economy.
How it works
The development of Jouliette fostered a bottom-up energy transition in De Ceuvel:
- The platform and the digital currency allow renewable energy exchange within the community of De Ceuvel, stimulating the local production of green energy, empowering the role of their members, fostering the local economy and community self-sufficiency;
- The digital currency appears as a simple and reliable payment method, with a user-friendly application in which users can have an active role by configuring their market trading rules and conditions; managing their token wallets; viewing their consumption, production and CO2 savings;
- The community is already exploring further applications of Jouliette, such as using the currency at their local cafes and restaurants, facilitating a local time-bank system, and integrating other community services such as a car-sharing initiative.
De Ceuvel is a living lab, a space for innovation and experimentation. An important element of the lab is its smart-grid. By using this technology, the community is able to trade renewable energy through the exchange of a cryptocurrency. The fact that the community is able to manage its own economy independently from market players empowers individuals and fosters a sense of community. While De Ceuvel remains a particular example, due to its particular situation as a living lab, this initiative is an example of how modern technology can support the energy transition.